MS Access alternative. - compiled BASIC w/db libs avail?

Philip A. Chapman pchapman at pcsw.us
Tue May 25 15:13:56 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 22:54, Kevin F. Berrien wrote:
> Is there any Open source compiled basic with db libs?  Then, assuming
> you don't have to have graphics, you get the ease of BASIC like VB/VBA,
> a thin client for terminals/term software, without the Access bloat.
>
> Lamar Owen wrote:

Try Gambas at http://gambas.sourceforge.net/.  The project has been
growing by leaps and bounds.  Like VB, it has an integrated development
environment and compiler.  It is VB like in some ways, but they only
emulate VB where it makes sense.  They have a special section on their
wiki for VB programmers wanting to make the transition.

It has components to allow it to connect to PostgreSQL, SQLite, and
MySQL databases.  As for command line, I know that they have command
line support, but I do not know how extensive it is.  Perhaps someone
could write a ncurses component for it.  It does not yet have a report
writing component.  There has been MUCH talk of one on the devel and
user lists; but no one has stepped up to the plate.

This is not really a MS Access alternative so much as a VB alternative;
but you could do most things in Gambas in the same quick and dirty
fashion that you'd do in MS Access.

--
Philip A. Chapman

Application Development:
Java, Visual Basic (MCP), PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL
Linux, Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP