s-ata raid array not shown correct..

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue May 25 17:40:58 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 25.05.2004 schrieb Collen Blijenberg  um 09:22:

> i got a few machines with an S-ata raid controller
> (Silcon sil3114 and Promise fasttrak s150 tx4)

> so basicly the whole idea of useing a raid system, get's lost..
> now i have an original raid module from promise, and this works fine
> (just 1 raid array, as defined in the raid bios)
> but now with this new Silcon sil3114, the same problem is back again..
> i configed an raid 1 array in the bios, but when i run the setup of
> FC2, there were 2 seperate drives again, bye bye raid array...!???

That is exactly caused by the fact that those controller (chips) are
fake RAID. The are indeed software raid with driver support - if really
there is a driver available for Linux.

> what is this raid problem/issue with linux ??
> can somebody explain this to me, or give me some good
> hinds/tips where to get an good raid driver/module for my S-ata
> sil3114 chip

> Collen Blijenberg (Systeem/Netwerk Beheerder)

Forget the driver based RAID with such controllers. Either get a real
hardware RAID controller like those by 3ware or use Linux software RAID
with Fedora which is offered during installation (though you can set up
software RAID even after installation for new hard drives).

More details to be found in this list's archive and by using google.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 19:37:10 up 3 days, 1:33, load average: 0.10, 0.15, 0.11
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]