CPU running half speed on ThinkPad with FC2

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue May 25 20:18:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Steven Garrity wrote:

> I'm running FC2 on a 2GHz ThinkPad T30 (more info at:
> http://www.fedora.us/wiki/ThinkPadT30).
>
> "cat /proc/cpuinfo" gives me the following:

> model name      : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.00GHz
> cpu MHz         : 1199.154

> The "cpu MHz" is always 1199.54, regardless of whether I'm running on AC
> power or battery, and even though it's a 2MHz processor.
>
> I understand that "speedstep" processors can run at a lower clock speed to
> conserve power. However, I would have thought that it would run at max speed
> when not on battery power. Also, the system feels noticeably slower overall
> vs. FC1.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you,
> Steven Garrity

Well P4-Moble also supports speedstep. The Default speedstep policy is
enforced by the daemon /etc/init.d/cpuspeed. You can run a cpu
intensive job - and see the 'cpu MHz' jump back to 2GHz gradually.

try running

/usr/sbin/cpuspeed --help

The default behavior can be changed by modifying /etc/cpuspeed.conf
(or switching off the service)

I haven't explored all the options completely - so my knowledge on
this is limited. (I'd like to know the option which gets rid of all
the intermediate freq stages)

Satish