CPU running half speed on ThinkPad with FC2

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue May 25 20:43:07 UTC 2004

Steven Garrity wrote:
> The "cpu MHz" is always 1199.54, regardless of whether I'm running on AC
> power or battery, and even though it's a 2MHz processor.
>
> I understand that "speedstep" processors can run at a lower clock speed
> to conserve power. However, I would have thought that it would run at
> max speed when not on battery power. Also, the system feels noticeably
> slower overall vs. FC1.

[root at ibmlaptop cpufreq]# cat scaling_available_governors
userspace performance
[root at ibmlaptop cpufreq]# cat scaling_governor
userspace

What does it say on your system?  The default governor is configurable
in the BIOS of my Thinkpad T41.  "userspace" must be selected for the
cpuspeed service to manage the processor speed dynamicaly.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com