Serious wierdness with FC2 kernel, both UP and SMP

George Garvey tmwg-fedorau at inxservices.com
Tue May 25 22:09:22 UTC 2004

   Started noticing NFS problems, then had problems with another system
that were just too wierd for words (including killall refusing to kill
processes).
   First I reinstalled without LVM. Problems persisted.
   Finally switched to stock 2.6.6 kernel. Problems all disappeared. This
happened on two very different systems (one an Athlon XP, another a P4
w/HT). Right now I have two system using the FC2 kernel with no apparent
problems, 3 w/2.6.6 because of various strange problems that went away when
the kernel was replaced.
   I can describe the systems if anyone wants that info, but I can't do a
lot of experimenting because on two of the systems it led to data loss, and
the drives are just too big and too full to be constantly restoring from
backup. The other system has to be functioning 24/7, if at all possible.
Sorry.
   Almost all of the systems are s/w raid 1. With FC1 they had LVM on RAID
1. They were all installed w/FC2, not upgraded.
   I don't know if this is really useful or not to report, although I hope
it helps someone else who is tearing their hair out from random, wierd
problems like I was for several days.
   I haven't tried the kernel in development, because I'm feeling a little
burned with development right now. If someone feels that would be a good
idea, I'm willing when I can control the conditions to cause as little
extra work as possible.