SSH Tunnel Logs

Brad Smith brads at redhat.com
Wed May 26 00:26:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 21:44, Patrick Nelson wrote:
> FC1
> openssh-3.6.1p2
>
> I have a port forwarding ssh tunnel and it works great.  I was trying to
> find some info in log files about users who connect through the tunnel
> and I couldn't really find anything.  Would like to see a list of users
> and when they connect.  Is this possible?

I don't know of any way to get sshd to log who uses the tunnel, but you
can (should?) have other software logging at either end.

In other words, if you want to log who's accessing the service, then you
should configure the service at the other end of the tunnel to do the
logging. If you just want a record of the IPs that connect to the
"start" end of your tunnel, you can use iptables on that machine:

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport X -m state --state NEW -j LOG
--log-level info --log-prefix "TUNNEL CONNECT: "

where X is the port that sshd is listening on for the tunnel.

Hope that helps.

--Brad