missing floppy

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Wed May 26 07:43:58 UTC 2004

Dwaine,

Dwaine Castle wrote:
> FC2 installed well and everything seemed to work -- I thought.
>
> I noticed that my floppy drive doesn't work.  I'replaced the drive and cable
> with new parts then reinstalled FC2.  The BIOS will boot a DOS floppy, and a
> RH9 boot floppy created from on an XP machine.  Attempts to mount the floppy
> manually yield "invalid block device".
>
> I am working my way through Michael Jang's RHCE ver8 study guide. but it
> doesn't offer much help with this.  I had RH9 on this machine and the
> original drive worked fine.
>
> Any suggestions?

What does your /etc/fstab look like? Is there an entry like

     /dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy          auto    noauto,owner 0 0

If there is no such entry, could you add this entry and try it again?
I remember having this problem with RH8. If you have this entry and it
contains kudzu, delete the kudzu from it . If kudzu is having problems
with the floppy it will update your /etc/fstab an boot time.

> I think that having 3 devices share IRQ 10 seems funny, but one thing at a
> time.

Sharing AFAIK that's normal for some devices.

> Thank you.
> Dwaine

You're welcome :-)

Alex