Automount External USB HD in FC2

Chris Rouch crouch at pobox.com
Wed May 26 15:18:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:04:37 +0100
Giorgos Papamarkos <kaizer_soze_gp at yahoo.gr> wrote:

> Hi there,
>     I've seen that this problem in quite common in list so I think
>     that
> someone must have solve it
> already.
>    I have an external USB Disk and I want to be mounted automatically
>    by
> the system.
> I added a new description in '/etc/updfstab' and once I plug the disk
> the fstab is updated with a
> new line, and a new icon representing the disk appears in Computer
> link in GNOME 2.6 (I use fedora core
> 2). The think is that :
> The disk is not mounted automatically and I cannot mount it as a
> simple user but only as root.
> My digital camera (Sony P32), on the other hand, is detected and
> mounted automatically with the right
> permissions. Why isn't the same happens for the disk ? Doesn't both
> use the 'usb-storage' ? What's the
> prob. ?
>
> The other think is that when I have plugged in both my camera and the
> disk, the fstab is not updated
> as appropriate for the disk (but camera still works perfectly). I
> think that this has to do with the 'partition' parameter in the
> description in 'updfstab' (I have both set to 1) but I cannot see any
> other option expect 'partition 1' since both devices are assigned to
> /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 respectively.
> Reading manual page of updfstab didn't help more.
>
> Has anyone solve this problem ? I'd appriciate any help.

I've not tried FC2 yet, but this works for me in FC1.

# devlabel add -d /dev/sda1 -s /dev/usbdisk1 --automount

Then add this line to /etc/fstab

/dev/usbdisk1           /s/backup1              auto    noauto,owner 0 0

Then it automagically mounts and unmounts as expected.

I don't know if this is the Right Way To Do IT, but it works.

Regards,

Chris