FC2 ate my system

Gordon Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Wed May 26 15:59:50 UTC 2004

Sean Estabrooks wrote:

> Hi Gordon,
>
> Suggest you read http://fedora.redhat.com to see who Fedora is meant
> for and why.   This is a major upgrade and the few deficiencies that
> people are crying most loudly about weren't solved because we as a
> community didn't help solve them in time.   Complaining about them
> now isn't going to help,  becoming a helpful tester would.    On the two
> machines I tested I had and have no serious problems.   We need even
> more testers to help out, especially when making such big changes.

    I did test.  I didn't run into any problems because I installed on a
small box that I use exclusively for such matters.  I do not install
beta software (and especially beta operating systems) on my primary
machine (dual-boot FC1 and Win2K), nor do I intend to install FC2 on my
primary machine at this time.  In fact I don't intend to install FC2
anywhere, at any time.  So, not only did my (albeit limited) testing of
FC2 fail to turn up anything significant, but the perceived attitude
that a) it's my fault if I didn't turn up a problem during test, and b)
if I do run into problems later it's also my fault, has insured that I
won't be running any future Fedora drivers.  But since I have limited
resources for testing, and just enough technical skills to be dangerous,
that shouldn't matter to the likes of Sean.
    BTW when MS service packs had a reputation for causing more problems
than they fixed, users avoided service packs.  As did I.  If Fedora Core
gets a reputation for trashing existing installations, users will avoid
Fedora Core, and the fact that this problem appears to have been KNOWN
earlier, and still wasn't fixed in the final driver, won't help.