6-in-1 card reader: works in fc1 and not in fc2

Atul Chitnis achitnis at exocore.com
Wed May 26 16:13:20 UTC 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Dave Jones wrote:

> Looks like another that needs adding to the whitelist.
> Can you do the test as described in the post I just made to the bug ?

Didn't have to - already had that in my modprobe.conf. My issue is that
the partition scan fails even for a single LUN device.

> We can't just turn on multi-lun probing on all devices, as this
> breaks some devices, by locking up the scsi bus when non-existant
> lun's are probed.

(shudder) yep, had first hand experience with that in the past. I
completely agree with the safe approach.

> I've just been through bugzilla and added a load of these devices
> to the whitelist (and sent them upstream too).  If you or anyone
> else comes across any further devices that don't work without
> max_luns tweaking after tomorrows kernel, then please let me know about
> them, and I'll make sure they get added.

Here is the one I am currently battling with - a multi-LUN thingy:

May 24 13:40:53 wookie kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
May 24 13:40:53 wookie kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage
devi
ces
kernel:   Vendor: TwinMOS   Model: 7-in-1 Card RWCF  Rev: 0100
kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
scsi.agent[6544]: disk at /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/host0/0:0:0:0
kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

Tomorrow will send you a few esoteric devices from office, including a
Sony Clie that used to work just fine with usbstorage before (but not
on FC2/linux 2.6.5), a couple of cameras and every card reader I can lay
my hands on. :)

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis at exocore.com
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 2344-0397