FC2 ate my system

Barry Yu barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 26 16:20:54 UTC 2004

Roy Brown wrote:

> Well, it looks like I hit the dreaded dual-boot bug.  I hadn't
> realized it affected Win2K in addition to WinXP.  After failing to
> boot into my Windows partition, I decided to give up on FC2.  I tried
> reinstalling my previous Linux (Libranet 2.8) in the hope that it
> would fix the broken boot stuff.  No luck.  Then I tried a "repair"
> with Windows...failure.  Then I tried to reinstall Windows from
> scratch (including deleting all partitions)...failure.  Any ideas what
> to try next?  I just want a working Windows system again.  I didn't
> see anything about LBA mode in my BIOS options (Albatron MB with
> i845PE chipset).
>
> PS: this is an amazingly bad bug to let into a release.  Is there
> going to be a "fixed" version of FC2?  I would have thought that a bug
> this bad would have warranted pulling the release until it was fixed.
> It doesn't just not install, it screws up your system.  Was this
> problem in FC2T3 or was it introduced in the final release?

> Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from
> McAfee® Security.

My system is a multi -boot one: DOS, win98,xp,rh7.3,rh9,fc1,fc2 and the
boot loader is bootmagic. After I had a clean fresh install the fc2 in a
new partition out of the same hard drive 1, the partition magic warned
me that some hard drive geometry stuff is wrong and asked if I want to
fix it, and I clicked yes, now the win98 is not working any more! Even
in that partition I format it and did a clean install from scratch,
win98 still can't work! I don't know how to make it work again (I can't
think of any other way that other than an installation with a complete
format and then install from scratch). Other O/S seem still working
normally.