rsyncing 79gb of data to 250gb drive

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 17:55:23 UTC 2004

Hi,

>  --- Mark Lanett <mlanett at parrotchat.net> wrote: >
> The
> obvious culprit would be hard links.
> >
> > ~mark
> >
> > James Wilkinson wrote:
> > :: Michael Mansour asked about copying 79 GB of
> data
> > and it ending up as
> > :: 120 odd GB.
> > ::
> > :: You can also use
> > :: cd /data01
> > :: for i in * ; do du -sk "$i" "/data02/$i" ; done
> |
> > more
> > :: to compare directory by directory where the
> size
> > increase has
> > :: occurred.
> > ::
> > :: Then you can drill down using variants of the
> > same command line.
>
> I'll try this tomorrow and see if I can find
> anything.
> There really shouldn't be any hard links since the
> 79Gb of data is basically just a Samba share, where
> store all my data files, documents, archives.
> Nothing
> there is specifically Linux related.
>
> Michael.

Ok, I've tried this and the following is the result:

[root at server data01]# for i in * ; do du -sk "$i"
"/data02/$i" ; done |more
4       lost+found
12      /data02/lost+found
79596252        Software
123557857       /data02/Software

Which seems to again confirm that the directories are
exact copies of one another (which is what rsync is
meant to do), but again with much different sizes.

Michael.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com