Win VNC client not connecting to FC2 VNC server

John DeCarlo jdecarlo at mitre.org
Wed May 26 18:17:13 UTC 2004

Frank,

Frank Rehwinkel wrote:

> Found that if I disable the firewall completely, via
>
>   system-config-securitylevel
>
> the vncviewer from the WinXP box works.  Can someone
> point me to a description of the firewall features
> in FC2 (or at least for FC1) so I can see what needs
> to be done to keep open the vnc tcp ports (5900+)
> while
> having the firewall otherwise enabled?

I had the same problem.  Decided to edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables (after
making a backup first).  I just duplicated the line for port 80 and
changed the 80 to a 5901.  Now everything works just fine.

Of course it would be more secure to tunnel the VNC session over ssh,
but if you aren't worried about security (all on your local LAN), this
should help.

--

John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own