Laptop/Notebook support

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Wed May 26 22:03:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004 20:10:19 +0100
Cam <camilo at mesias.co.uk> wrote:

> So if anyone out there has a notebook model that is fully working, let's
> have a show of hands. How many models are available where everything
> just works?

Thinkpad X20 (2662-11U):  500 MHz Celeron / 320M RAM / 40G 5400 RPM HD /
Integrated MiniPCI modem+ethernet / ATI Rage Mobility (mach64).  "Slow",
but tiny.

Using Fedora Core 1, I can get all the important hardware features to
work.

Graphics:  3D accelleration using the Mach64 DRI modules, which annoyingly
enough are not provided by FC1.  Binary modules from links on
dri.sourceforge.net work, provided you get the right versions.  (Are
these modules included with FC2, or do I have to rebuild X?  Or do the
binary drivers work?)  On FC1 you probably want to try to get 3D to work
because the drivers support XVideo as well.  The drivers provided with FC1
don't. :(

Power Management:  APM works.  Haven't tried ACPI because "If it works,
don't mess with it". :)  Plus, I don't think you can control the keyboard
light with ACPI running.

Sound: Autodetected/configured using OSS drivers.

Ethernet: Configured during the install.  Intel Ethernet Pro 100

Modem:  Lucent Winmodem - uses LTmodem drivers installed separately.
It'd be nice if those were included in FC2. :)

USB / etc. Just Work for the devices I have, as does the integrated
compactflash slot and PCMCIA slot.  I'm concerned about USB mice vs. the
2.6 kernel in FC2, though.  Right now, I can use my trackpoint and my USB
mouse at the same time with no trouble.  I've heard of people having
problems doing this with 2.6 kernels.

I can't try Fedora Core 2 just yet - not until I get a spare hard drive.
This X20 is my main work machine.

-CT

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!