chattr like prog for XFS

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed May 26 22:08:53 UTC 2004

Guys,

	I'm an idiot. Okay.. got that out of the way.

	you see, this is the 2nd time I've shot myself in the foot with this
same problem.

I wanted to tar something before I ssh'ed copied it to another system

like this

tar -czf - fileA | ssh system-B tar -xvzf - -C /untar/directory

You see.. sometimes(twice this week) I shoot myself in the foot by
mixing up the sequence of tar and end up munging the original data to
bits!!!

eg : Org-data		1M

After Mixup

	Org-Data	45K

and Lo and behold, I lost the data!! BAH!

So.. to prevent this from ever happening again, is there some program
that will actually stop me/the program from erasing the original data if
I mix up the sequence of tar? I know Chattr can do exactly that for the
ext2/3 filesystem. Is one available for XFS?

Or will I have to

1: Knock tar into my thick skull
2: chmod a-w Org-Data?? (This I'm not even sure will work)

/Idiot