FC1, rsync problem to myself

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu May 27 02:34:15 UTC 2004

Greetings;

I've been running a script with a bunch of rsync stuffs in it to
backup the important pieces of my firewall box for years.  But I'm
getting ready to nuke this flakey FC1 upgrade and install FC2 fresh,
so I thought it would be nice to have a backup of /etc/, /root,
and /home on another 60Gb drive that isn't normally mounted here
other than useing the last 4Gb of it for swap.

But, I can't get past my own non-existant firewall it seems as I'm
getting this error for each rsync invocation line in this new file:
----------------
[root at coyote bin]# ./backup-me-nightly
connect to address 192.168.71.3: Connection refused
Trying krb4 rsh...
connect to address 192.168.71.3: Connection refused
trying normal rsh (/usr/bin/rsh)
coyote.coyote.den: Connection refused
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
io.c(165)
----------------
192.168.71.3 is this box, whose FQDN is coyote.coyote.den.

Here is the first rsync line from this file, attempting to copy
my /etc dir to a temporarily mounted partition which when the script
is done, is unmounted for safety:
----------------
rsync -avz --delete --password-file=/etc/rsync/coyote.elladene \
root at 192.168.71.3:etc/ /mnt/hdb3/etc
----------------
The \ isn't in the file itself, I'm just covering the line wrapping in
kmail with it.

The password file contains the root password, and here is the section
from /etc/rsyncd.conf for the line attempting to do /etc :
----------------
#rsync config file. Same configuration as SAMBA

#motd file = /etc/motd
max connections = 2
syslog facility = local3

[etc]
    comment = The coyote.coyote.den/etc dir
    path = /etc
    read-only = yes
    list = yes
    hosts.allow = 192.168.71.3
    auth users = backup gene root
    secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
Since it works so well from my firewall box, and has for several years
now, its probably just a syntax error in my script, but I don't seem
to be able to spot it from the cryptic messages returned.

So where did I make a wrong turn and got lost?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)