FC2 Dell latitude cpx laptop

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu May 27 03:44:31 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 22:33, Norman Gaywood wrote:
> I think the trick is to set the network device not to start on boot. So
> the network start will not try to start it.
>
> However, when pcmcia starts up, it will detect the network card and
> start the device anyway. It does not know that this a "start on boot".
>
> The "start on boot" option is more accurately described as "start device
> when network service is started".
>
> --
> Norman Gaywood, Systems Administrator

Mr. Gaywood,

This resolved the problem.  It is counter intuitive but telling the
network card NOT to startup at system start and having the pcmcia start
in the original order works as it should.

I can now boot up my laptop with the card inserted and it will actually
startup.

Is this an issue with non-pcmcia network cards?  And what do you do if
you have multiple pcmcia network cards but only want one to startup at
reboot?  Does not seem to be anyway to select in that case.

Thanks again.  This is as been a minor irritation which has been solved.
--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

 cleartape: kernels don't do magic, they just implement mechanisms

	- Erik Mouw on #kernelnewbies