FC2 problems on Dell latitude C600

Greg.Lehmann at csiro.au Greg.Lehmann at csiro.au
Thu May 27 04:26:47 UTC 2004

Just did the install with kickstart (it yum updates as well) and have
found a few problems already.

1. The usual hang on first boot around the USB area probably because the
install kernel leaves the USB devices in a bad state. Windows won't boot
after a linux install either. A power cycle allow either to boot happily
via grub. Thankfully I haven't hit the broken XP boot problem because of
disk geom differences of opinion.

2. login and try various stuff but logout hangs entire machine. The LCD
display goes black and then the top half stays black but the bottom half
goes a brilliant offwhite that fades from the edges to the centre of the
screen in roughly circular pattern (truncated across the middle by the
top half which is all black) until the bottom half is dull grey.

3. touch pad moves mouse pointer but doesn't recognise taps or double
taps.

4. boot hangs after running windows first without a power cycle. After
kudzu runs I get
Checking for new hardwareDisabling IRQ #11
It then hangs trying bring up interface eth0. Looks like something is
not initialised properly.

5. authentication is now behaving differently. With RH9 I could allow
either a unix NIS password or a kerberos authetication via windows AD
server. If I specify either they work. If I specify both together only
the windows one works. This doesn't seem to be a C600 specific problem.