Samba & Winbind = false domain????

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Thu May 27 07:41:38 UTC 2004

Hello,

I run samba 3.0.3-5 on FC2. The shares are known by the win-clients, but not for the linux-clients. so, on my server,
doing:

wbinfo -u gets:

[root at morpheus samba]# wbinfo -u
Error looking up domain users

wbinfo -g gets:

BUILTIN-System Operators
BUILTIN-Replicators
BUILTIN-Guests
BUILTIN-Power Users
BUILTIN-Print Operators
BUILTIN-Administrators
BUILTIN-Account Operators
BUILTIN-Backup Operators
BUILTIN-Users

??HUH??? BUILTIN??? my domain is called 'GWCH', thats what should be in front of the minus. that there is a minus
tells me at least, that my smb.conf is accepted. I read some postings on samba.org that this is a kind of known, a guy
recommended somewhere, that you should downgrade to 3.0.2.

btw:
[root at morpheus samba]# wbinfo -t
checking the trust secret via RPC calls succeeded

[root at morpheus samba]# net join
root's password:
Joined domain GWCH.

BUT winbindd.log says:[2004/05/27 10:31:46, 1] nsswitch/winbindd_util.c:add_trusted_domain(180)
Added domain BUILTIN  S-1-5-32

...and it seems not belonging to samba itself...
[root at morpheus samba]# testparm
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[lmorpheus01]"
Processing section "[cmorpheus02]"
Processing section "[public]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
--> Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

unfortunately, there is no other way to match users/groups.
Is this here a known issue too? or is it already resolved? i haven't seen any samba-update-packages yet.
Or do you have any workaround to resolve this problem??

Thanks,
Roger