Suspend or hibernate - how?

Pete Toscano pete-fedora at verisignlabs.com
Thu May 27 13:23:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 08:49, Dexter Ang wrote:
>
> Can you try what Dexter did? or you can go from graphical desktop to
> console and back. It worked for me.
>
> Atrl-alt-F1 then ctrl-alt-f7

I'm not sure if you're telling me to go to console, suspend there, then
return to X once I've resumed or if you're just telling me to switch
between X->console->X after I've resumed from a suspend.  If it's the
latter, that doesn't recover the pointer for me.  I can change run
levels, exit and re-login, nothing seems to recover the pointer.  If
it's the former, I tried that and it works.

Speaking for only suspending from a virtual console, I tried that last
night before heading home with my laptop.  (With "echo 3 >
/proc/acpi/sleep".)  I didn't use it at home as I had expected, but when
I came back in today and plugged it back in, the battery power was only
at 6%.  This suspension state used much more battery than hitting Fn-F4
did in FC1 (with APM).  Is there something else I should have done to
decrease the power usage?

Thanks,
pete