CDRW Slower Under FC2 Than FC1

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu May 27 16:43:49 UTC 2004

Charles Curley wrote:
> I have a Cyber Drive CW099D CD burner, about a year old
> (http://www.cyberdrive.com/products.asp?Product=CW099D). Under FC1, it
> would burn at its rated speeds of 52x or 24x. With FC2, it insists on
> running at about 4x. I found the same problem under Mandrake 10, which
> also has a 2.6 kernel. Suggestions?

Bet it's not using DMA: try
hdparm /dev/cdrw
where cdrw is your CD burner, and look at the using_dma line.

If not, you can use hdparm to turn it on temporarily, and look at
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and /etc/sysconfig/harddisks* to fix it
permanently.

Note that the kernel decides not to use DMA with devices for a reason.
There may be the possibility of data loss. That probably isn't the end
of the world for a CD-RW, but I wouldn't put a hard drive containing
any data I cared about on the same cable.

HTH,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | "Isn't air travel wonderful?  Breakfast in London,
westexe.demon.co.uk    | dinner in New York, luggage in Brazil."