FC2 ate my system

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Thu May 27 19:31:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 01:58, Gerry Doris wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2004, Roy Brown wrote:
>
> > Still no luck.  I tried rewriting the MBR with Windows 2000's FIXMBR from
> > the repair console.  That didn't work.  I reinstalled FC2 and tried Jack
> > Aboutboul's instructions on fixing the drive geometry table.  I still can't
> > install Windows 2000.  Any other ideas?  If not, I guess I'm off to buy a
> > new HD.  Grrrr.  Thanks for trying to help.
> >
> > Roy
>
> Well, if things have gone that far (new drive) then I would try using your
> disk manufacturer's software to do a low level format.
>
> Go the the manufacturer's website and do a search for their
> diagnostic/test programs.  They usually have a low level format program
> that will completely rewrite the drive and bring it to the state it left
> the factory.

No need to do a low level format. If you really need this , you can dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
This will erase the partition table. When you recreate it using any
software , it will store the right geometry.

This worked for me when I was first bit by the bug (and didnt know how
to fix it)...

--
Pedro Macedo