Windows Domain auth for Linux boxes

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Fri May 28 19:14:23 UTC 2004

On 05/28/2004 02:21 PM, Craig White wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 10:40, Matt Morgan wrote:
>

>>[snip]
>>
>>Xandros Desktop Linux has done a lot of work, starting back when they
>>were Corel Linux 1.0, in creating a system of Windows domain login that
>>works under Linux. See
>>
>>http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT4559768996.html
>>
>>for details of how this should work, and does work under Xandros. But
>>Xandros is uncomfortably proprietary for me and I would much prefer a
>>more open solution. As far as I can tell, Xandros does not make it easy
>>to use their domain auth system generally, with other distros for
>>example. In the interview at the link above, the Xandros rep claims
>>there is no other distro that does this--while I don't know of any that
>>do, it seems like such an obvious goal that I'd be very surprised if
>>nobody else is at least working on it.
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>-----
>samba / winbind
>
>if you need documentation
>
>www.samba.org  -> documentation, samba-3 howto
>
>Craig

According to that interview:

"Basically, on a technical level, the authentication in the domain is
performed by a package called Winbind that is part of Samba. But we do a
lot more -- we provide the login dialog that allows them to enter the
user name and password, not from the local machine but from the domain."

(which is specifically the problem I'm trying to solve). Are you using
samba/winbind? If someone were actually using it and could tell me how,
in practice, it works out, I'd buy him or her a beer :-). But I will
check out those docs, thanks.