FC2: Question about hotplugging

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Fri May 28 20:11:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 12:31, Jean-Rene Cormier wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 16:06, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 14:44, Jean-Rene Cormier wrote:
> > > Hi, I have a laptop with an Intel Pro Wireless mini-PCI card and I
> > > installed the IPW2100 driver and I can do a modprobe ipw2100 and it
> > > loads the module and the firmware but when I boot the laptop the module
> > > gets loaded automatically but it can't find the firmware. After Fedora
> > > is done booting I can do an rmmod ipw2100 and then a modprobe ipw2100
> > > and the module will load and it will find and load the firmware. I asked
> > > on the IPW2100-devel list and someone suggested to me that maybe it was
> > > because the modules gets loaded before fedora starts hotplugging. I just
> > > looked at the init scripts and hotplug seems to start in the rc.sysinit
> > > so obviously it should start before networking. Is there a way I could
> > > make sure hotplugging gets started earlier than the networking in the

I use ndiswrapper and I don't see that problem.

> > In your network config for the card turn off the start at boot option.
> >
> > Was not intuitive but it works for me.  I can boot up and the card and
> > network get started.
>
> I had it setup like that for my PCMCIA card and it worked but this is
> for the internal wireless card and setting ONBOOT=no doesn't work.

I think this is because of the entry for ipw2100 in the
/etc/modprobe.conf file. It loads the modules regardless of whether you
set onboot or not.

> The module gets loaded at boot and I get this message:
>
> ipw2100: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Driver, 0.44
> ipw2100: Copyright(c) 2003-2004 Intel Corporation
> divert: allocating divert_blk for eth1
> Detected ipw2100 PCI devoce at 0000:02:04.0, dev: eth1, mem
> 0xE0210000-0xE0210FFF -> 2a701000, irq: 5
> eth1: Using hotplug firmware load.
> eth1: Firmware 'ipw2100-1.1.fw' not available or load failed.
> eth1: ipw2100_get_firmware failed: -2
> eth1: Failed to power on the adapter.
> eth1: Failed to start the firmware.
> divert: freeing divert_blk for eth1
> ipw2100: probe of 0000:02:04.0 failed with error -5
>
> Then if I do an rmmod ipw2100 and modprobe ipw2100 it loads fine and I

YOu might want to take a look at the attached script. (got it from the
web. The author's name and email is in it)

He's just detecting what networks there are and then loading it up.
(through profiles but personally, I don't use profiles... so...)

What I can suggest is that you hack this init script to load ipw2100
urself and not depend on modprobe. That way, You have control.