UK keyboard layout with winkeys

Øyvind Stegard oyvinst at ifi.uio.no
Fri May 28 21:18:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 02:56:56PM +0100, Jon Homan wrote:
> Dylan Parry wrote:
[snip]
> Using xev, I get the following output when the Win key alone is pressed:
>
> FocusOut event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
>     mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor
>
> FocusIn event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
>     mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor
>
> KeymapNotify event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
>     keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
>            0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0

I have problems with the Windows key myself (Norwegian keybaord layout),
I use it for lots of handy app-launching and WM shortcuts (in Gnome,
though) I've tried it in KDE, the behaviour is exactly the same. But
anyway, the reason you don't see the Win key pressed/released events is
that the KMenu grabs them. Hit the win key many times quickly, and you
should see some release/press events in the xev output as well , at
least I did.

The funny thing is that I am sure the keyboard setup is correct
(xorg.conf, gnome-keyboard-properties,++), AND the win key is working
correctly as Mod4 with my Metacity keybindings. But Gnome refuses to let
me define shortcuts by pressing Win+XXXX, I must hardcode the
key-strings of the shortcuts I want to use, into the config, myself.
Also, Gnome won't let me use my own Xmodmap (which fixes things in KDE
at least, for me). These problems might be related to the xorg-switch,
OR new versions of KDE/Gnome with more keyboard control features built
in (which is Good, I guess).

Øyvind

< Øyvind Stegard <oyvinst at ifi.uio.no>
 < University of Oslo, Dept. of informatics
  < http://www.stegard.net/
   < "If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished."