using libmilter, milter-spamc and spamassasin

John Walsh dear_grommet at hotmail.com
Sat May 29 19:21:34 UTC 2004

Scot,

>From: "Scot L. Harris" <webid at cfl.rr.com>

A direct reply to your email failed ?

> > My intension is to get spamassasin to process ALL the emails that pass
> > through my sendmail,
> > even those forwarded on to external email addresses through
> > /etc/mail/virtusertable...
>
>I setup a sendmail server for a business using spamassassin via
>procmail.  I noted you did not want to use procmail for this.  But you
>may want to reconsider it.  They way I set it up sendmail calls procmail
>for all messages.  In procmail you call spamc to process the messages.
>At this point you can grab all spam and put it in a separate file or
>pass it on to end users to let them process it.  In my case I dump the
>spam to a dummy spamuser.  This is reviewed periodically for any false
>positives (no real false positives so far).  It also becomes a pool of
>messages to train the baysian databse with.  I also use the this
>spamuser as the one to run spamc as.  This way I have a single database
>on the system which is kept under the spamuser home directory.
>
>Has worked well.
>
>Not at work right now so I don't have the links to the documents I used
>to get this setup.  Will try to remember to post that for you if you
>want it.

The reason why I didn't want to use procmail was because I thought it
would mean that I missed out all the emails that were just forwarded
by the virtusertable entries - and I want to provide spam filtering to those
external users too.

But, I'm coming round to the idea of using procmail to do this forwarding
(instead of sendmail/virtusertable) and so then procmail/spamc becomes
a very good option...

So YES, please do send me any helpful info you have on this.

I'll be working on this over the long weekend, so may have it done by
Tuesday, but please send your stuff anyway - it will be good to see if
I did it the same/better/worse way ?

My first problem - getting procmail to do the local delivery for/from
sendmail... using maildir format...

Thanks,
John.