FC2 booting with Gigabyte 8IPE1000 PRO2 SATA

Marc Lucke marc at marcsnet.com
Sun May 30 01:00:18 UTC 2004

I can get FC2 (kernel 2.6.5-1.358smp) to boot by mounting the initrd;
editing linuxrc to load the mod_scsi, libata, sd_mod & ata_piix modules
on boot; and then unmounting and replacing the original initrd.  This is
OK in that it works however from about kernel 2.4.24 it was unnecessary;
the sata drive showed as "hde" and perfomance was many times better.

I remember that 2.4.24 didn't seem to have a scsi/sata type section in
it!  I didn't think it would work, first time I did it but it did.

It is the ich5 architecture but for some reason it doesn't seem to be as
straight forward as it seems it should be.

My ultimate wish is to be able to forget about compiling my own kernels
or stuffing about with initrd.

I would be so appreciative to hear more about my problem from someone
that knows about what is causing it.  For example, until the next kernel
is released, is there a reasonably easy way have my system booting from
hde again?  What was the iscsi thing about in the last rh9 distrib I
had?  Would that help me?

Cheers
Marc