For users of Fedora Core releases

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sun May 30 18:46:35 UTC 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004 14:20:32 -0400, Dwaine Castle wrote:

> Robert,
>
> I had some problems with burning iso images on my XP Prof machine using a
> Plextor drive and Alcohol 120.  Tom Michell had a few suggestions for me and
> you can search the archives to read them in depth.  He explained why the
> check sums are not a guarantee that the image is good.

Checksums do guarantee that the _image_ is good. But after you burnt an
image to CD/DVD, you need to re-run a checksum test in order to verify
that the burnt data are correct. Either use the built-in media-check
feature of the boot CD or read out the images again (e.g. with the readcd
utility). The checksum should still be the same.