HOWTO install From FAT drives?

Mac macshy at tom.com
Mon May 31 05:12:52 UTC 2004

Dear Friends,
  I downloaded the FC2 (four iso files,MD5-checked) under windows environment, and want to install it without burning CDs. I tried to use loadlin.exe(for DOS) and grub to load the vmlinuz and initrd.img file(in the directory of /images/pxeboot),but failed.Here are the command line I tried:
     loadlin vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=9216
     (failed,unrecognized format)

     grub>root (hd0,8)
     grub>kernel /fedora/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz initrd=/fedora/images/pxeboot/initrd.img ramdisk_size=9216
     grub>boot
     (failed,Unable to mount root filesystem)

  The FC2 Distribution don't supply a comfortable way for installing without CDs, since we cannot write the diskboot.img to a floppy. I think the only method is to use the vmlinuz and initrd.img, but I don't know how to.
  Could anybody help me? And I want more info(usage,parameters,etc) on the two files, vmlinuz and initrd.img of all linux distribitions.
  Thanks a lot.
                Mac, Harbin China
        macshy at tom.com
          2004-05-31