Nautilus issues on upgrade forn FC1 to FC2

Marc Bruggeman marc.bruggeman at pro.tiscali.be
Mon May 31 12:47:00 UTC 2004

My apologies, I should have mentioned it, but right clicking and going
via the menu gives the same result. I only get a Nautilus window without
the side pane and no option in the menu (side pane) to bring it back.

I have gone through the manual and browsed the archive but can find a
reference to my problem.

When looking/searching in the ~/.gconf/apps/nautilus directory I noticed
a directory called sidebar_panels/  .  The %gconf.xml file in it is
empty (0 bytes). I guess this has something to do with it, but I don
know what to put in it to make the sidepanel reappear.

Can anybody (who has and is using a sidebar) tell me what is in his/her
&gconf.xml file so that I can test if that would help. Otherwise I would
like to know if I can safely uninstall Nautilus and reinstall it again
with the guarantee i will have my panel back.

PS : Reason for sliding the panel away under FC1 was because it was easy
to use the browse buttons on top of the screen. I know that I can still
do that in the current Nautilus setup, but I guess they have changed the
default way of working for a reason (many users seem to like it after
giving it a serious try). I just would like to be able to give it a try
as well...