nvidia - kernel (2.6.6) compile causes fc2 to crash

Christian Schlaefcke cschlaefcke at wms-network.de
Mon May 31 19:58:57 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 31.05.2004 um 19:56 Uhr +0100 schrieb Luciano Miguel Ferreira
Rocha:
> On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 07:48:45PM +0200, Christian Schlaefcke wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > to get the nvidia driver running on my system again I tried to compile a
> > 2.6.6 kernel with the 4k stack option disabled. I can run "make
> > menuconfig" but when I run "make" afterwards it crashes the whole
> > machine. I saw it crushing on the line: CC [...]/modules.o and
> > CC /fs/ext2/xattr.o.
>
> THe whole machine? You must have a hardware problem, or a problem in your
> current kernel.
>
> Try to compile the new kernel on a text console and past the kernel panic,
> if any. If the machine just locks, without a kernel panic, test your
> hardware (and disable any overclock).

I already tried compiling without x. The machine just locks, no kernel
panic or segfault. Shit, please don´t let it be a hardware issue :-(
I would expect the machine to crash every now and then, but anything is
running quite fine. Sounds strange.

Any ideas how to find out what exactly could cause this?

Regards,

Chris