PS on exclusion Re: FC1 Users: Sample .... One more problem

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Mon Nov 1 01:46:53 UTC 2004

Beartooth wrote:
> I used galeon for years, till it began to get slow, and went back to it
> when firefox did. My browsers typically run faster when newly updated, and
> slow gradually down; if I can, I keep galeon, opera, and firefox all open

This seems odd -- are you regularly clearing out the cache? I haven't
ever experienced the gradual slowing down you describe, but I hope we
can find a solution to your issue. Have you tried strace on any of the
browsers to see if there is some output that could be helpful there for
troubleshooting?

> (with a separate workspace for each), with ten or twenty tabs each, and
> use mainly the one currently fastest. I also keep the default browser set
> to Konqueror, so that opening a site from my email or newsreader doesn't
> mess up one of the main ones; and I keep the security settings (privoxy
> exceptions, cookie treatment, java settings, etc) a little different on
> all three (and minimal on the default); so if a page fails to render in
> one browser, I just go to another.

I'm not entirely clear on this desktop setup -- are you really saying
that you have at lease three browsers open at all times, each with 10-20
pages being rendered? So at any time, there are at least between 30 and
60 different web pages being actively displayed? How much RAM are you
running?

> I hit dependency hell trying to install galeon on my current athlon FC1
> desktop, and just get along without it. Since the installation on the
> backup p2 still has a working galeon, I use it there.

Gnome's moved to epiphany for its browser, for reasons that I don't
recall, and I don't believe galeon comes with FC2. But there are
available rpm's for galeon (you should be able to grab the rpm from
Dag's site) that are compatible with moz 1.7.3.

> I've tried to run galeon on a mozilla-free machine; that works after a
> fashion with firefox (which I believe to be in extension hell at present;
> I'll scrub kit & caboodle and re-install it from scratch when all the
> foofaraw over 1.0 subsides -- preferably for 1.1 ...). But it fails, alas!
> with galeon.

Hope this helps,
Clint