Where are the system files stored??

Dexter Ang thepoch at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 09:10:42 UTC 2004

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 16:59:27 +0800, wpj <wpj at mobell.com.cn> wrote:
>  hi,
>
> In FC1, there is a menu(red hat in the left-bottom of the screen) like
> "Start Menu" in windows. And in windows we can put a shortcut of a
> program in "Start Menu"->"Program". Where are these files linked to
> icons and How can I put a shortcut in the "Start Menu"??

This has been a long standing issue with Gnome and Fedora Core.
Basically there is no easy way to do it. What you have to do is learn
about .desktop files at:

http://www.freedesktop.org/Standards/desktop-entry-spec

and then put those you've created into /usr/share/applications

Search the archives. I'm sure someone has a better guide than mine. If
you're wondering why this hasn't been made easier, that's in the
archives also (I think it's because upstream Gnome hasn't seen this as
that much of a priority at the moment).

dex