FC2 authentication with Active Directory

Elvis elvislives at gmx.net
Mon Nov 1 10:47:52 UTC 2004

I have set up a samba server in our win2k3 domain with no problems,
although it uses winbind only, not LDAP - it is fairly simple to do:
Install latest samba (3.0.7 is latest stable)
edit smb.conf:
       security = domain
       workgroup = *nameofdomain*
       realm = *fully.qualified.nameofdomain*
       password server = * (or fqdn of DC)
       idmap uid = 10000-20000
       idmap gid = 10000-20000
       winbind separator = +
       winbind use default domain = Yes

Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf:
       passwd: files winbind
       shadow: files
       group:  files winbind

Start winbind and samba.
Make sure nscd is NOT running (this will give you loads of pain if it is)
Join domain:
        net join -U Administrator (this is the old, rpc method, but it
works fine)

This should give your domain users single sign on for files and printers
on the linux box.

Hope that helps!