BIND 9 Problem - DNS Forwarding

Marco van Neerbos neerbos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 11:12:07 UTC 2004

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:46:03 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> Kh Linux wrote:
> > Let me raise it again; the problem is that, I usually get this error message
> > from named:
> > ";;Connection timed out; no servers could be reached" when I do "# host
> > www.yahoo.com", but after the second or third try, it responds correctly.

My 2 cents:

Might want to uncomment the following line in your named.conf

        // query-source address * port 53;

This will revert to the pre BIND 8.1 behaviour. If you PIX rules are
setup that way you probably do not get the delay anymore.

Regarding the saturated link: try the eliminate method: stop squid for
a moment (yes users will complain) and do some DNS testing and see if
anything changes. If DNS responds normally take a look at the squid
config. I setup my squid with delay pools to take 80% of our bandwith
so some is left for other stuff on the link.

Marco.