controling FC2 with VNC

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Mon Nov 1 14:44:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 16:27:38 +0200, "YigalB" <byigal at zahav.net.il> wrote:

>I want to control my Linux PC from my XP machine - mainly because I have
>no space for another VGA terminal. I installed VNC. At the moment, I can
>start a new X session on the FC2 and thats great - but this is not the
>main X session that is active in the FC2, so whenever I shut down the XP
>(the conreoling computer) - all the processes that I created in the FC2
>(the controlled computer) are being killed.
>
>My target is to work from the XP on the FC2 directly - and not to open a
>new X session.
>
>How can I do that?

Have a pre-started X session that you connect to from the XP box. You never
close that session, just close your VNC client on XP. In this example, the
session is available on port 5901.

1.  Make sure the VNC server is running

# chkconfig --list vncserver
vncserver       0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on   4:on   5:on   6:off

2.  Add a line to /etc/sysconfig/vncservers to start up a VNC server for your
use from XP under your non-root user id:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
# The VNCSERVERS variable is a list of display:user pairs.
#
# Uncomment the line below to start a VNC server on display :1
# as my 'myusername' (adjust this to your own).  You will also
# need to set a VNC password; run 'man vncpasswd' to see how
# to do that.
#
# DO NOT RUN THIS SERVICE if your local area network is
# untrusted!  For a secure way of using VNC, see
# <URL:http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html>.

VNCSERVERS="1:myuserid"

3.  in ~/.vnc, create a file called "xstartup"

# cat xstartup
#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
# unset SESSION_MANAGER
# exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
exec gnome-session &

After getting all this done, restart the vncserver daemon and you'll have your
session ready and waiting for you

--
  Steve