Fedora 2: Selection delay with Mozilla and other apps

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Nov 1 14:59:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 09:21, Terry Barnaby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Fedora 2 with all updates to 1/11/04. I use KDE as the desktop.
> On several systems I have the same problem:
>
> If I try and Select some text within Mozilla or OpenOfficem, using the
> mouse, there is quite often a long delay before the text is shown as
> selected. This delay is around 2-3 secs. This occurs frequenty, but not
> all of the time.
>
> Also if I click on the vitual desktop to move desktops, occasionly the
> KDE desktop will appear to lockup for about 10secs. The system appears
> to start to do this after being logged in for some time.
>
> Any ideas ?

You might try disabling IPv6 support.  Have seen a few threads in the
past where disabling IPv6 (completely) improved performance.

Have not seen similar problems with Mozilla but have seen something
similar in OpenOffice.  When a word is underscored as miss-spelled and
you right click on it the system seems to beat the disk drive to death
for as long as 30 seconds sometimes before presenting the menu.  I
believe this is a problem in Openoffice as similar dictionary support in
Evolution works fairly quickly.

You need to supply information on how much memory your system has and
the processor type/speed.  Also check your system to see if you are
hitting swap space or not.  (should be able to use the free or top
command to see how much swap is being used)

Also check the load average using the uptime command.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

The world has many unintentionally cruel mechanisms that are not
designed for people who walk on their hands.
		-- John Irving, "The World According to Garp"