please help -- i can t find my modem

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Mon Nov 1 15:05:25 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-10-30 17:31, Markku Kolkka whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>Adel Essafi kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika lauantai, 30.
>lokakuuta 2004 15:35):
>

>>I have a motorola internal modem! (62412-51)
>>Who can I know if it is a modem or a winmodem
>>

>It's a winmodem.
>

>>Next I have tried to dial and I got this output!!
>>
>>--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
>>--> Initializing modem.
>>--> Sending: ATZ
>>--> Sending: ATQ0
>>--> Re-Sending: ATZ
>>--> Modem not responding.
>>
>>Here is my dial.conf file
>>
>>Please help
>>
>>[Dialer Defaults]
>>Modem = /dev/ttyS0
>>

>ttyS0 is the first standard serial port in your machine, which
>the other OS calls COM1. You don't have modem there so you get
>"modem not responding".

In other words, try changing your dial.conf entry to ttyS1, then ttyS2,
then ttyS3.  S1 probably won't work, one of S2 or S3 has the best chance
of working.

--
Fritz Whittington
Men are wise in proportion, not to their experience, but to their capacity for experience. (James Boswell, Life of Samuel Johnson, 1791)