Display problem with Intel 852 chip and FC2

Jörg-Rüdiger Hill Joerg-Ruediger.Hill at scienomics.com
Mon Nov 1 07:52:28 UTC 2004

I have tried to install FC2 on a Toshiba Satellite notebook which uses an
Intel 852 chip for graphics. The installation went smoothly, the chip was
detected and X was configured automatically to use the i810 driver and 3D
hardware acceleration. However, whenever I run an OpenGL application there is
a square slightly larger than the mouse pointer which is kind of copied from
the point the mouse pointer was a few seconds ago and which moves with the
mouse pointer. Effectively, this makes it impossible to pick anything with
the mouse.
If I turn hardware acceleration off by commenting out the dri module line in
xorg.conf everything works as it should be (although without 3D acceleration)
and the effect described above does not show up. Unfortunately, the notebook
is supposed to be used as a demo machine for an OpenGL application. I have
tried the few options available for the i810 driver without making any
difference. In particular, enabling a software cursor just turns off hardware
acceleration, which is of no use to me. I can't find any description of a
problem like this on the net. It seems that people have no problems with the
i810 driver.
Has anybody seen such a problem and knows what to do to fix it ?

Jörg-Rüdiger Hill

Dr. Jörg-Rüdiger Hill      Tel.:          +33 1 40 13 53 29
Scienomics                 Tel. (direct): +49 89 613 05 700
Paris Innovation           Fax:           +33 1 40 13 53 01
5 Rue d'Uzès               E-Mail:        Joerg-Ruediger.Hill at scienomics.com
75002 Paris                Web:           http://www.scienomics.com/