Some thoughts about yum and repositories

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 1 16:08:54 UTC 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:15:29 +0000, Douglas Furlong wrote:

> Hopefully, you have the feeling that you can come to the community and
> seek assistance, so that we can all get through it ;)

I do indeed, and will study your exposition; many thanks!

In fact, I try to do more. Because I'm subtechnoid, but also articulate, I
make a practice of trying to get across, on lists like this, the one thing
the real Alpha Technoids have most trouble with most often, afaict : why
it is that the uninitiated have such difficulty doing what seems child's
play to them. That, if anything, is what I can give back.

And it is getting back, whether because of any efforts of mine, or
independently of them, or despite them. Linux has been getting more
user-friendly by leaps and bounds in my time.

For example, the user I know best never managed to get RH 6.0 nor 6.1
installed at all; had to have a Friendly Local Alpha Geek (FLAG) install
7.2; participated (a little) in installing 8.0 at an installfest;
installed RH9 at home, with help from the local LUG; and has installed FC1
twice, with a lot of help from the local LUG the first time, and with only
a (relatively) little trouble the second. Everything works on one machine,
and most things do on the other.

All this in a matter of five or six years is real progress, however
frustrating it does get at times.

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!