PS on exclusion Re: FC1 Users: Sample .... One more problem

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 1 21:04:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 20:53:40 +0200, Markku Kolkka wrote:

> All the stuff you have running in hidden workspaces and browser tabs is
> still consuming memory, CPU time and other system resources. You might
> see just one site being displayed but your machine is loaded with the
> task of keeping dozens of web pages ready for instantaneous display.
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You mean it's supposed to. But switching workspaces takes considerable
time -- more to switch to a browser than to the newsreader or a terminal,
and more to switch to firefox than to opera. And *everything* works slower
if firefox is open than if not -- including if Konqueror is open instead
of firefox.

I'm not surprised that a browser runs slower with several tabs open (even
though I keep things set to update as seldom as possible, like once a
week, unless and until I hit a reload button on one tab). That's worth it,
normally.

But it runs *way* slower; is there some exponential change in keeping one
more tab loaded? And why is it that firefox runs like cold mozilla all the
time, whether it has half a dozen tabs open, or a dozen and a half?
Multiple tabs don't slow opera down nearly so much as they do firefox.

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!