VDQ : Can my FC1's gnome-terminal be fixed?

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 2 00:41:09 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 02:13:43PM -0500, Beartooth wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 14:06:15 -0500, Beartooth wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:53:18 -0700, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
> >
> >> Can you add a new user test that new user?
> >
> > Yes. I did, and tried "su test", then telling btth's kde terminal
> > "gnome-terminal &". (I'll log out and back in in a minute)
>                 (snip)
> > Stay tuned. I'll log out, and back in as test.
>
> Logged in as test, I put the terminal launcher on the panel, moved it to
> the position I normally keep it, and clicked on it. Test got a
> gnome-terminal, with a working prompt, and can modify things like the
> colors -- which is what my eyeballs require.

OK so gnome-terminal works for "Mr. Test".  This tells me
that the system is OK and that the specific problem is associated
with your account setup.

gnome-terminal keeps setup information in
	$HOME/.gconf/apps/gnome-terminal
	$HOME/.gconf/apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/

First try in a gnome-terminal to reset the default profile.
Click on
      Edit --> profiles

On the Colors tab click and uncheck "Use Colors from system theme".

You can also edit the default theme to improve the contrast or color
choice.  I suspect that some how the screen and text color are now
the same which makes it impossible to see the text.  Hint for defaults
keep the default unchanged and make a copy to change when the tools
permit.

It may be quicker to cut and paste this command in a gnome-terminal or
an xterm.

   # check that you are you with 'id'
   id

   # if not root and if you are you.
   mv $HOME/.gconf/apps/gnome-terminal $HOME/.gconf/apps/XXgnome-terminal

Logout and log back in...

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy