UPS for a single system using apcupsd.

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Nov 2 03:02:47 UTC 2004

Bob Cahn wrote:
> I'm contemplating buying an APC Back-UPS ES Battery Backup (BE500U).
>>From reading the HOWTOs there appears to be the APC UPS daemon at
> www2.apcupsd.com.  Can anyone advise if this is a simple or a complex
> project.  I lose power about once every 2 weeks in winter and it's only
> a matter of time before the disk gets zapped.

My wife bought me a "noname" UPS a couple of years ago.  I was able to
get it working with the generic upsd deamon, even under RedHat 7.2 (and
beyond).  It worked well until I upgraded beyond its capabilities.  I
had a 300W PS in my computer case when I got it, upgraded to a 450W PS
case, and a new mb, and a few other things, and overtaxed the UPS.  Then
I had a PF recently, and the battery was SOL.  (oops)  Make sure that
the UPS you use can handle the capacity you need to draw through it.  B^{

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net