OT: Rejoining video files

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 2 05:41:56 UTC 2004

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> I used to use a simple script called uustrip.  That was 10-15 years ago.
>  I haven't found any updated version of it in a while.  It is basically
> a wrapper for uudecode to strip out the header info from the various
> postings leaving only the uuencoded part which it then sent to uudecode.
>  No support for newer encoding methods (xxencode or rar or such).
>
> I also used to use AUB (Assemble Usenet Binaries) which would read files
> directly from various NewsGroups via nntp and decode the contents of all
> of the fragmented files which were comepletly available....  It was
> written entirely in Perl, and did the decoding itself.  It did its best
> to find all of the partial files by sorting through the Subject lines
> and grouping based the part numbers.  Again, my copy is old enough to
> not support other than uuencoded binaries.
>
> I've often wished that some of the (current) Newsreaders had better
> support for grouping/saving/decoding split postings.  XRn used to do it
> real well 15 years ago....  Mozilla/Thunderbird won't even let you save
> multiple postings to a single file!

Thanks kevin,
   Managed to get back into sorting out the binaries after a hard bout
with bi-polar,I found the perl prog. aub at freshmeat and a rpm at
rpmfind ver.2.1.3-1.i686 but is two years old and does not appear to be
maintained anymore,it handled all the various .ext's but I forgot the -c
option first up.

--- 108 images -- bigpond.broadband.binaries -> /home/david/kinema
----- all done -- bigpond.broadband.binaries
  -- Extracted Files: 108, Total Time Taken: 499 secs
  -- Thrown away files: 19 (not encoded, or illegal suffix, or duplicate)
  -- Total Extracted: 344413.1 KBytes
  -- Total Downloaded: 507750.6 KBytes
  -- Rate of downloading (includes decode time): 1017.5 KBytes/sec

I ran a few .wmv's and appear to be very good (no jerks at a joining
point - not that I would notice! )

    Thanks for the help   david