Fedora 2: Selection delay with Mozilla and other apps

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Tue Nov 2 09:21:42 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 09:21, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have Fedora 2 with all updates to 1/11/04. I use KDE as the desktop.
>>On several systems I have the same problem:
>>
>>If I try and Select some text within Mozilla or OpenOfficem, using the
>>mouse, there is quite often a long delay before the text is shown as
>>selected. This delay is around 2-3 secs. This occurs frequenty, but not
>>all of the time.
>>
>>Also if I click on the vitual desktop to move desktops, occasionly the
>>KDE desktop will appear to lockup for about 10secs. The system appears
>>to start to do this after being logged in for some time.
>>
>>Any ideas ?
>

> You might try disabling IPv6 support.  Have seen a few threads in the
> past where disabling IPv6 (completely) improved performance.
>
> Have not seen similar problems with Mozilla but have seen something
> similar in OpenOffice.  When a word is underscored as miss-spelled and
> you right click on it the system seems to beat the disk drive to death
> for as long as 30 seconds sometimes before presenting the menu.  I
> believe this is a problem in Openoffice as similar dictionary support in
> Evolution works fairly quickly.
>
> You need to supply information on how much memory your system has and
> the processor type/speed.  Also check your system to see if you are
> hitting swap space or not.  (should be able to use the free or top
> command to see how much swap is being used)
>
> Also check the load average using the uptime command.

I have disabled IPv6 (a bit ?) by setting "alias net-pf-10 off" in modprobe.conf.

One system is a dual Xeon 2.4GHz system with 1GByte memory, hyperthreading on,
	swap space is not in use.
One system is a Pentium 4 2.4GHz with 512MByte of memory, swap space is not in use.
One system is an IBM 600e laptop with Pentium 2 366MHz and 256MByte of RAM, swap space is
	sometimes in use a bit.
There is no load on the systems when this occurs.

I do have KDE set to "Focus Under Mouse", I will try the systems with
this off ....

Terry

--
Dr Terry Barnaby                     BEAM Ltd
Phone: +44 1454 324512               Northavon Business Center, Dean Rd