Re Problem copying files

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 2 18:46:05 UTC 2004

(sorry, hadn't realised thread was still going)

Nifty Hat Mitch <mitch48 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

 > On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 12:02:31PM +0100, Tor Harald Thorland wrote:

 >> Could not write to /mnt/.....

 >> It is a flash drive.. I have enough space, the right permissions
 >> and so on.. it is copying all the other files, except for the ones
 >> with norwegian characters..

 >> One of the files is called nødbrannpumpe.doc

 > nødbrannpumpe.doc
 > 00000000: 6e c3 b8 64 62 72 61 6e 6e 70 75 6d 70 65 2e 64 |
n..dbrannpumpe.d

 > $ touch 'nødbrannpumpe.doc'
 > touch: setting times of `nødbrannpumpe.doc': No such file or directory

 > The file name is not a legal file name for this type
 > of file system.

 > $ df .
 > Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
 > /dev/sda1                46786         6     46780   1% /mnt/flash1
 > $ mount
 > /dev/sda1 on /mnt/flash1 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=bob)

<snip>

 > A bit of digging may still be required but it looks as if the two
 > bytes used for the multi byte character "ø" are not in the legal
 > character set:

 >  (space) ! # $ % & ' ( ) + , - . 0-9 ; = @ A-Z [ ] ^ _ ` a-z { } ~

They're not, and judging from his reply in this thread, changing the
name isn't a problem for the OP.  I should point out, though, that it
is possible to successfully use utf8 filenames on a vfat volume by
giving mount the '-o utf8' option.  I'm not sure how you would get the
updfstab system to add it though, so I can only suggest manually
'-o rw,nosuid,nodev,user,uid=bob' (and last time I tried, just doing
a remount isn't good enough, the volume must be unmounted, then
mounted with the new options).  On top of that it will likely make
garbage of existing filenames with high bit characters, but I don't
/remember/ it being destructive.

This is quite useful if you dual boot with Windows (for Millenium
anyway), since windows also appears to use utf8 for filenames,
and files with names like "Veinte Años.ogg" can be shared bewteen
Linux and Windows.  It's also likely to be useful when copying
files from a flash drive that were taken from a Windows machine
(although only the name will be affected, contents should be
readable regardless).

--
imalone