Firewall and NAT

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Nov 3 02:19:07 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 03.11.2004 schrieb Michael D. Setzer II um 2:51:

> Related Question. Could one use SSL connection for mail. At my
> college, they block port 25 in and out of the campus except to the
> mail host. (P.S. mail host accepts any mail from inside with no
> authentication) I setup my email client to use SSL smtp to send the
> mail to myrealbox.com account via port 465. Don't know what it
> would take to setup Fedora to use that port to send mail, or if it uses
> a different port for the purpose.

Answer to the first part of your question: yes, Sendmail can be used
with SSL over port 465.

Second part, Fedora related/specific: yes here too. The Sendmail shipped
with Core 1 and 2 - upcoming FC3 version too - is build with SSL
support, while this still has the state FFR (for future release). If you
run:

sendmail -bt -d0.13 < /dev/null | grep SSL

you will see that. You will have to create a certificate as for the
STARTTLS usage and setup a daemon on port 465 in the .mc file:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Addr=142.46.200.221, Port=465, Name=SSA, M=Eas')dnl

If I remember correctly, Outlook (OE too) still has a problem with that
(blame Microsoft for that). For details, if a topic for you, see:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=SSL+465+Outlook&hl=de&lr=&group=comp.mail.sendmail&c2coff=1&selm=9gcnd3%242cj%241%40simancas.uva.es&rnum=2

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=SSL+465+Outlook&hl=de&lr=&group=comp.mail.sendmail&c2coff=1&selm=4021554d_1%40127.0.0.1&rnum=1

More hits if you search google groups in group comp.mail.sendmail for
"SSL 465 Outlook".

Hope that helps.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 03:12:12 up 14 days, 51 users, load average: 0.74, 0.86,
0.76