using samba with red hat / fedora firewall on - trouble accessing shares on other comp

Gerald Thompson geraldt at telus.net
Wed Nov 3 10:20:40 UTC 2004

Hi all;

Using Fedora Core 2

I am having some trouble mounting shares on my windows computer with the
red hat firewall turned on.

The windows xp computer has no trouble getting through the red hat
firewall to the samba shares on my linux box.

If I turn off the red hat firewall I am able to access the shares on the
win xp computer.

I opened these ports in the firewall:
137:udp, 138:udp, 139:tcp, 445:tcp

This is exactly what is recommended on the samba.org HowTo manual
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/securing-samba.html#id2544979

Also in Windows XP I have the exact same ports opened by default in the
windows xp firewall.

I am thinking that there is some kind of blocking in the red hat
firewall that is preventing me from fully opening the outgoing nmbd
request.  I guess I am reaching the point where I should learn how to
use iptables and just allow the IP of my win xp computer to communicate
with the linux computer.

Any suggestions, or a port that I should try opening up?

Thanks
Gerald
geraldt at telus.net