Sendmail FC2

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed Nov 3 10:55:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 18:38, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm having difficulty setting up sendmail in an FC2 network.  The mail
> server is at 192.168.1.63 (on its LAN NIC) and all the other LAN machines
> are at 192.168.1.32-45.  All the LAN machines can open the sendmail port
> on the mail server at 192.168.1.63:25, either by name or IP address.
> However, outgoing mail is only accepted from one machine: 192.168.1.32
> All the other machines get 550 4.7.1 <email-address)... Relaying denied.
>
> The same sendmail.mc and therefore sendmail.cf is being used on the
> mail server for the whole LAN, and does all the domain masquerading - so
> if it works for 192.168.1.32, why doesn't it work for 192.168.1.34 and
> the other LAN machines ?  All the LAN machines are declared in the
> /etc/hosts file on the mail server and the HELO and server response is
> always correctly identified.

Did you add the names of the hosts which you approve to do relaying ?

# cat /etc/mail/access
# Check the /usr/share/doc/sendmail/README.cf file for a description
# of the format of this file. (search for access_db in that file)
# The /usr/share/doc/sendmail/README.cf is part of the sendmail-doc
# package.
#
# by default we allow relaying from localhost...
localhost.localdomain           RELAY
localhost                       RELAY
127.0.0.1                       RELAY
192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0       RELAY

from /usr/share/doc/sendmail/README.cf
An ``access'' database can be created to accept or reject mail from
selected domains.  For example, you may choose to reject all mail
originating from known spammers.  To enable such a database, use

        FEATURE(`access_db')

Notice: the access database is applied to the envelope addresses
and the connection information, not to the header.

The FEATURE macro can accept as second parameter the key file
definition for the database; for example

        FEATURE(`access_db', `hash -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')

Notice: If a second argument is specified it must contain the option
`-T<TMPF>' as shown above.  The optional third and fourth parameters
may be `skip' or `lookupdotdomain'.  The former enables SKIP as
value part (see below), the latter is another way to enable the
feature of the same name (see above).

Remember, since /etc/mail/access is a database, after creating the text
file as described below, you must use makemap to create the database
map.  For example:

        makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access