MSA & MTA & Milters Was [Re: Firewall and NAT]

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed Nov 3 11:09:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 18:42, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> >>Let's compare the two solutions:
> >>
> >>Port forward port 2525 to port 25:
> >>* Only one daemon running, listening on two ports (plus separate MSP
> >>instance).
> >>* Port 2525 accepts mail from any client without requiring
> >>authentication for local delivery (though of course it's needed for
> >>relaying, just as it is on port 25).
> >>* Does not necessarily fix up mis-formatted mail submissions, e.g. with
> >>non-fully-qualified hostnames/addresses etc. (depends on whether you're
> >>using the `always_add_domain' feature, masquerade settings etc.).
> >>
> >>Separate MSA on port 587 and MTA on port 25:
> >>* Only one daemon running, as MSA on port 587 and MTA on port 25 (plus
> >>separate MSP instance). Check the output of ps to verify this for
> >>yourself.
> >

> >   799 ?        Ss     0:00 sendmail: accepting connections
> >   802 ?        Ss     0:00 sendmail: Queue runner at 00:30:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue
> >
> > There are 2 instances.
>
> The first is the MTA/MSA (configured by sendmail.cf), the second is the queue
> runner for the MSP (configured by submit.mc). If you turn off the MSA you'll
> still have two instances.

Dang.. Then what's happening? Oh.. 1 sendmail daemon, 2 listening ports.
DUH.

I turned it off and I still see 2 processes.

> >>* Port 587 can *require* authentication for all clients, preventing
> >>unauthorised use for local delivery
> >
> > I'm on a laptop. I'm the only pre-configured user. So, for mine, the MSA
> > does not need authentication. Firewall walls up the MSA(and the MTA)
>
> But if you are roaming, you may not be able to send mail directly from your
> laptop due to outbound port 25 blocking. The idea is to have the MSA running
> "back home" so that you can use that wherever you are. This doesn't apply in
> your case though because you don't have a "back home" with a static IP to run
> your MTA/MSA.

I get it. "it's the back home" thing.

When Roaming, I normally just let sendmail contact the MX and relay it.
(yeah.. Dynamic IP addreses) I know it may not always work, but it's
working most of the time)

PS : Thanks for your replies. I will only be able to answer them tmorrow
as I'm heading home. It's 7pm here in Malaysia.

PS : Forgot to tell you.. I'm running sendmail-8.12.11-r3